Hi! I’m Amie. I currently cover the New Orleans Saints for The Times-Picayune | New Orleans Advocate. I previously covered LSU for NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune.
I was born and raised on a farm outside of Funk, Nebraska, and grew to love sports on the playground at Axtell Community School. I’m a proud graduate of Lincoln Southeast High School, though admit I spent three years figuring things out at Lincoln East High School.
Before NOLA, I was the Missoulian’s Griz football beat reporter and preps reporter. While in college as a news and information major at the University of Kansas, I interned at The Washington Post, worked as a stringer for The Associated Press, served as a Chiefs correspondent and stringer for The Topeka Capital-Journal and held various positions at The University Daily Kansan, including sports editor, special sections editor, columnist, photographer and beat reporter.
Where my work has been highlighted:
- From Jeff Pearlman’s Substack: The 64: My Favorite Sports Writers of 2021
- From NPR’s Morning Edition: New Orleans Saints Quarterback Drew Brees Retires
- Investigative Reporters & Editors’ Local Matters newsletter (March 4, 2018)
- From College Media Matters: 1 Million Story Ideas for Student Journalists
What others have written about me:
- From Football Morning in America: “Tattoo of the Week”
- From the Billings Gazette: ‘Voice of the Bobcats’ resigned amid sexual harassment investigation
- From the KU Alumni Association: Recent grad writes ode to KU
- From the Missoulian: Amie Just is new University of Montana reporter
- From KU News: Journalism student wins national sports writing award