Hi! I’m Amie. I’m one of the beat reporters covering LSU for The New Orleans Times-Picayune.
I’m a member of several professional organizations including: the Associated Press Sports Editors (APSE), Association of Women in Sports Media (AWSM), Investigative Reporters and Editors (IRE), Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) and National Sports Media Association (NSMA).
I have experience in covering everything from the nitty gritty details of a beat to tangentially related topics like concussions and sexual assault.
Before NOLA, I was the Missoulian’s Griz football beat reporter and preps reporter.While in college as a news and information major at the University of Kansas, I interned at The Washington Post, worked as a stringer for The Associated Press, served as a Chiefs correspondent and stringer for The Topeka Capital-Journal and held various positions at The University Daily Kansan, including sports editor, special sections editor, columnist, photographer and beat reporter.
I won several awards while I was in college, including a CMA Pinnacle Award and a SPJ Mark of Excellence award. I was also in the 2015 class of Jim Murray Scholars.
Outside of journalism, I’m a proud member of Omega Phi Alpha.
I was born and raised on a farm outside of Funk, Nebraska. My love of sports blossomed on the playground of Axtell Community School. I’m a proud graduate of Lincoln Southeast High School, though admit I spent three years figuring things out at Lincoln East High School.
Where my work has been highlighted:
- Investigative Reporters & Editors’ Local Matters newsletter (March 4, 2018)
- From College Media Matters: 1 Million Story Ideas for Student Journalists
- From the Associated Press Sports Editors: Winners of inaugural APSE Student Contest announced
What others have written about me:
- From the Billings Gazette: ‘Voice of the Bobcats’ resigned amid sexual harassment investigation
- From the KU Alumni Association: Recent grad writes ode to KU
- From the Missoulian: Amie Just is new University of Montana reporter
- From KU News: Journalism student wins national sports writing award